Friday, August 29, 2008

Book Review: Lord of the Flies


This is a book I read as a kid but after seeing it in an episode of ABC's Lost I have had a desire to read it again. I finished early this week and I must say that it is strange how our views of things change over time. When I read it as a child it was little more than a book about boys stranded on an island who got into trouble. As an adult though, this book typifies the struggle of man to overcome evil when there are times each day that we realize that we are alone with an internal struggle to do good or do wrong.
The very title of this book explains what is hidden inside the words. Lord of the flies is derived from the Hebrew name Beelzebub, a name that man has given to Satan. While there are many themes in this book, I would like to focus on just this one aspect. The Lord of the Flies really only has a very small role and is mentioned only a few times in this writing but all of the intentional atrocities committed by the boys on the island stem from a group of the boys propping the Lord of the Flies up (read the book to understand) and then one young man, Simon, having an encounter and dialogue with the Lord of the Flies. Just like Eve and the fall of man.
It is after Simon communicates with the Lord of the Flies that he loses his mind and wanders into the the hands of those who have been filled with blood lust after propping up the Lord of the Flies. While there is more to be said on this book and this specific matter, as I read the story of Simon falling into the perils that the Lord of the Flies led him to, I found myself thinking to my reading of Proverbs and in particular Proverbs chapter 1:

10 My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent. 11 If they say, “Come with us, Let us lie in wait to shed blood; Let us lurk secretly for the innocent without cause; 12 Let us swallow them alive like Sheol, And whole, like those who go down to the Pit; 13 We shall find all kinds of precious possessions, We shall fill our houses with spoil; 14 Cast in your lot among us, Let us all have one purse” 15 My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path; 16 For their feet run to evil, And they make haste to shed blood. 17 Surely, in vain the net is spread In the sight of any bird; 18 But they lie in wait for their own blood, They lurk secretly for their own lives. 19 So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; It takes away the life of its owners.

As I said earlier, there are many themes that could be touched on but that is just one that stood out to me. Rather you have or have not read this book, I would recommend reading it. This book will move you and make you look at yourself and how you would handle a similar situation.

No comments: