Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Confession

Those of you who read this know that at the first of last month that I was going to do a better job of listening to the whisper of the Holy Spirit in my life and acting upon it. You can read that post here. Well, it has not taken me very long to slip in this effort and my heart is very pained over my failure.

Let me explain. I was called by a dear friend last Monday morning on my way in to the office. To make a long story short, my friend was confiding in me that he has lost control of his life due to a battle with alcohol and Rx drugs. This friend is at the point where he realizes he needs help and that he is in danger of losing those around him who he loves. I talked to him and told him that I would be there for him socially as I can not ethically offer him professional assistance other than referrals. I also told him what every "good Christian" would say: "I'll be praying for you." I did pray for him too, several times. I have invited him to some church functions and spoken with him two times since then and he reports positive progress but I continue to be worried about him.

Here is where my heart has been convicted. Since having that conversation the Holy Spirit has placed the thought in my head several times (I think it's 5 times to be exact), to get my wife in the car and drive to my friend's house and pray with him and for him there. I don't know why I have been moved to do this or if anything will be accomplished by it, just that I should do it. Sadly, I have ignored this up to this point. I think that by ignoring this thought that could only come from that which is Holy was sinful and I am confessing of that sin. My reason for thinking this comes from James 2: 8-13. In this passage James is admonishing his readers about showing favoritism regarding who they worship with and who they offer the gospel message to. He points out that by doing this it makes you no better off than a murderer or adulterer because you did not show mercy and do what you have been called to do as a Christian. I had so many excuses not to go and pray with my friend, some of which being: “I need to finish cutting the grass,” “He wouldn’t want to be disturbed,” and even “What if he’s drinking when I get there?” How lame are those excuses? I should be there now as a matter of fact. I should have gone there as soon as he first called me, but I didn’t and I have not shown the mercy that God has had on me to this person that I call a friend.
I realize that before I can fully repent of this sin I must go there and offer to pray with him, not pray for him on my own time, but pray with him. I know in my heart that God can pull my friend from his despair, yet I am withholding the power of prayer that God has given to me. I am truly sorry and I will make this right.
If you are my friend that I am referring to in this writing please read this carefully: I love you very much. I can not help you professionally and I can only offer to you that which has rescued me from the same struggles that you are having. Christ is knocking at your door and he can pull your head above the water. Know that I have prayed for you and I am praying as I write this but all that I can do is show you how Jesus has loved me and tell you that He loves you the same and that He is waiting on you to make your decision to come to Him and lay this burden on Him. You are an answer to my prayers because I pray that God will send me opportunities to minister to people. I am sorry for not fulfilling my duty and I ask that you please forgive me and pray for me as well.
I also am praying that all of you who read this begin having a more active prayer life. I will write more thoughts on this in the coming days. Until then, have a blessed day.

No comments: